October 2019 – Issue 2Download the full WIA October 2019 Newsletter
Message from the President
Amy Schultz Pearson, MD
Greetings, Women in Anesthesiology supporters!
We hope you are all gearing up for a landmark American Society of Anesthesiologists conference in Orlando next month. Women in Anesthesiology is once again hosting its Annual Meeting the day before ASA kicks off, October 18, 2019 at Pointe Orlando. The board anticipates that this will be one of our largest and most impactful conferences yet. Here’s why:
- We have already sold 2/3 of our WIA annual meeting tickets as of September 24. This blows last year’s record out of the water. If you haven’t yet, sign up today! https://www.womeninanesthesiology.org/events/
- This year’s speakers are rising stars in diversity and gender within healthcare. Drs. Njathi, Warner, and O’Brien from the Mayo Clinic have taken their microaggressions talk to multiple departments and conferences, including #GRIT2018. This entertaining plenary will challenge your preconceived notions on microaggressions and give you new tools to optimize your workplace interactions. Here’s a sneak peek at their talk: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mayo-clinic-talks/mayo-talks/e/62309543
- We are all about networking, networking, networking. Enjoy a fiesta dinner and open bar (planned by board member Kristin Ligda, MD) while connecting with other members on topics you care about, such as professional advancement, work-life balance, managing harassment and inequity, or starting your own WIA chapter (special thanks to board members Corinna Yu, MD and Jessica Sumski, MD).
- All pre-registered attendees will receive free conference swag, and we will have exclusive Eddie Bauer zip-up fleeces available for purchase in multiple colors (thanks to immediate past president Rekha Chandrabose, MD). If you can’t make it, WIA has new online clothing and merchandise stores for you here (special thanks to Destiny Feng Er Chau, MD): https://www.womeninanesthesiology.org/wia-store/
- We will be announcing open Board slots and honoring special recipients of the WIA Champion Award and Distinguished Service Award – want to find out who will win? Want to learn how to get more involved in WIA leadership? Join us!
- One of my favorite things about this conference is that “doctor” badge buddies will be available. Coming from an institution without them to an institution with them, I can’t tell you what a noticeable change it’s been. As women physicians, especially women anesthesiologists, being appropriately identified within the healthcare team is important for patient safety, teamwork, and career satisfaction.
All of this hard work couldn’t be possible without the help of our communications team, especially Board Members Elizabeth Malinzak, MD and Marjorie Stiegler, MD, as well as Destiny Feng Er Chau, MD, Wiebke Ackermann, MD, Barb Rogers, MD, and SarahBeth Hartlage, MD. If you’d like to help on the day of the conference, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can’t wait to see you in less than a month!
Amy Pearson, MD
President, Women in Anesthesiology, LLC